Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Blog #3- First memory

My very first memory is when I was at the doctor's office and I remember my mother talking to me, attempting to calm my nerves because I was told I needed to get shots. Any pain inflicting process at five years old makes it seem like it will be the end of the world. I was frightened because I have never had one before. I remember the nurse taking my pulse while the doctor was laying the needles out for the shots. I needed three: not one, three. The nurse told the doctor my pulse was through the rough and the doctor turned to me and smiled. She looked at me for a moment, then said, "There's no reason to be afraid. It will just be a small pinch." I tried to calm myself down as did my mother. I trusted the doctor, if she said it was going to be a small pinch, then that will be all. She prepared the needles and and picked the first one up. At that point, I was quite calm, so she grabbed my left arm and injected the shot. As soon as she did, I flinched and yelled out, "That wasn't a small pinch! You lied!" I was so upset at the doctor that I did not even remember the pain of the following shots. From that point on, I have always disliked my pediatrician because she lied to me. Then she goes to mention that when I'm fifteen, I will have to receive those same shots once again. At that point, I thought, well by the time I'm fifteen, I won't be able to feel the pain because that is what my mother said. She said that shots don't seem so bad once you get older. So I believed her because my mother has never given me any reason not to trust her. I suppose this isn't the most joyous of memories but it is quite amusing now that I reflect upon it.

No comments:

Post a Comment