Tuesday, May 1, 2012

#1 "Catastrophe of Success"

The essay, "Catastrophe of Success", opened my eyes a bit. We all dream of becoming of having a lot of money to do what we please with in the future. But is that really success? In my eyes, success is whatever makes you happy. If you pursue what you love in life, and you continue to enjoy it, then you have achieved success. I look at success the way Williams does in his essay; success is whatever you want it to be. For some, yes success is having myriads of money and "nice" things but for others, like myself and Williams, success is much more simple, yet deeper than that. I believe Williams hit the nail on the head when he experienced success himself. He references hotel service and how it is more embarrassing for him to be served, than for the servers themselves, which most people look at in a different light. It is embarrassing to be so conceded and dependent of other people. If you are successful from the start, where do you go from that point on? Your life will be dull and that feeling of being content, can never be fulfilled. However, I do believe that Williams took it a bit too far as I read a  portion of his essay as if he were stating successful people are spoiled. If a successful person is content, humble and hard working, then I do not believe they are spoiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment